
Gavroche62
Jan 11, 01:37 AM
It does raise the bar for other manufacturers, but this isn't the portable media player market. In business you either have to be the first, or the cheapest (neither applies to iPhone), simply being the best doesn't cut it. Apple and its devotees have argued for ages that MacOS is so superior to Windows it's ridiculous, but they've never managed to even put a dent in Microsoft's market share.
With the iPod Apple was able to hog 60% of the market before the competition even woke up, but here they're up against Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola, Siemens, Blackberry, Palm/Treo, HP and a bunch of other giants with well established distribution channels and deals with every carrier on earth. I hope for Apple's sake they've patented the crap out of this thing because the first SonyEricsson iPhone killer is probably being designed as we speak.
You're right this isn't the portable media market - those devices are primitive compared to what's being offered here and yet the heavy weights were NEVER able to even dent THAT market. You would think the likes of SONY, HP MOTOROLA, M$SOFT and all the other consumer electronics giants, with all of their resources, could come up with something smart enough to compete with the iPod over the years, right? Wrong! The iPod was revolutionary in its design and usability (and not the first portable media device by the way). Paired with the best online music store experience distanced it even further from the rest. That's what revolutionary means: a new playing field - a new system - a new product. Apple does this better than anyone in the world. I'm not sure the competition is just Nokia, SonyEricsson, and Motorola any more. Listen closely, Apple is attempting to reinvent the mobile phone by marrying what we traditionally associate with a smartphone (smartERphone actually) under a totally new "human friendly" and intuitive package. Those things tend to have mass appeal.
If it ends up just being yet another slick mobile smartphone then yes, the competition will be a bear. On the other hand, if the mobile connectivity paradigm is changing as Apple wants it to, then its an (almost) level playing field again. Some may even argue that Apple has another head start on some of those technologies (mobile OS X for one - the best desktop OS now the best mobile OS)
In the end, we all win. Competition is great. So lets just sit back, watch the race and hope the world doesn't meltdown before we can play with all of these toys.
With the iPod Apple was able to hog 60% of the market before the competition even woke up, but here they're up against Nokia, SonyEricsson, Motorola, Siemens, Blackberry, Palm/Treo, HP and a bunch of other giants with well established distribution channels and deals with every carrier on earth. I hope for Apple's sake they've patented the crap out of this thing because the first SonyEricsson iPhone killer is probably being designed as we speak.
You're right this isn't the portable media market - those devices are primitive compared to what's being offered here and yet the heavy weights were NEVER able to even dent THAT market. You would think the likes of SONY, HP MOTOROLA, M$SOFT and all the other consumer electronics giants, with all of their resources, could come up with something smart enough to compete with the iPod over the years, right? Wrong! The iPod was revolutionary in its design and usability (and not the first portable media device by the way). Paired with the best online music store experience distanced it even further from the rest. That's what revolutionary means: a new playing field - a new system - a new product. Apple does this better than anyone in the world. I'm not sure the competition is just Nokia, SonyEricsson, and Motorola any more. Listen closely, Apple is attempting to reinvent the mobile phone by marrying what we traditionally associate with a smartphone (smartERphone actually) under a totally new "human friendly" and intuitive package. Those things tend to have mass appeal.
If it ends up just being yet another slick mobile smartphone then yes, the competition will be a bear. On the other hand, if the mobile connectivity paradigm is changing as Apple wants it to, then its an (almost) level playing field again. Some may even argue that Apple has another head start on some of those technologies (mobile OS X for one - the best desktop OS now the best mobile OS)
In the end, we all win. Competition is great. So lets just sit back, watch the race and hope the world doesn't meltdown before we can play with all of these toys.
mdpena26
Nov 17, 11:14 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk60/mdpena26/Misha_56BelAir.jpg
munkle
Feb 20, 10:37 AM
Screensaver on my desktop?? I just installed it and it is awsome!! Thx
Have you tried it with Marine Aquarium (http://www.serenescreen.com/product/maquariumx/)? Bit of a resource hog but great for showing off!
And if you're a fan of the Matrix, this (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11727) looks pretty swanky as well :)
Have you tried it with Marine Aquarium (http://www.serenescreen.com/product/maquariumx/)? Bit of a resource hog but great for showing off!
And if you're a fan of the Matrix, this (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/11727) looks pretty swanky as well :)
hmilas
Dec 12, 09:39 PM
Ad plays silently but when moused over the audio blasts out at a loud level, well the volume did happen to be set at 11... highly obtrusive.
Ad URL is: http://www.dishwasherhk.com/
Ad URL is: http://www.dishwasherhk.com/
more...
ten-oak-druid
Apr 6, 12:59 PM
My first computer had a tape drive. A Commodore Vic 20. I wonder how long a cassette tape needs to be to hold a TB not to mention a PB?
macnews
Sep 27, 02:46 AM
I think it does look nice. I just hope this is include in Leopard server as well. I would love to run my own mail server with this type of webmail interface.
more...
Darth.Titan
Apr 18, 08:44 AM
That means that the browser cannot find a picture where the website says there should be one. It's like a "file not found" indicator.
It's the fault of the website, not your computer.
It's the fault of the website, not your computer.

Full of Win
Apr 28, 07:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
But really, I'm embarrased for Apple & Samsung for these pathetic lawsuits they keep bringing against each other. Money, money, money!
Why? The law requires an rights owner to defend its IP or risk losing it. These suits are just business, no hard feelings, as seen by Apple's monster-sized component contract w/ Samsung. Any yes, business is about making money.
Not just money, but power as well.
But really, I'm embarrased for Apple & Samsung for these pathetic lawsuits they keep bringing against each other. Money, money, money!
Why? The law requires an rights owner to defend its IP or risk losing it. These suits are just business, no hard feelings, as seen by Apple's monster-sized component contract w/ Samsung. Any yes, business is about making money.
Not just money, but power as well.
more...
mbl42
Dec 4, 09:33 PM
I have one, not sure if I want to sell though. Make me an offer via PM or email.

scottsjack
Apr 1, 07:52 PM
Almost word-for-word, the exact same argument that was made by Luddites against these fancy, new-fangled mouse and GUI-based computers back in the mid-80s.
I don't think that barmann was making a case against a new technology that didn't fit the old ways like when mice were first introduced. His point was that as much as iPad fanboys want it to be the coolist thing ever that will replace all those old-fashioned computers there are differences in machines between consumer ones and those used by professionals.
It's not expected that consumers are going to know the short comings of their iPads any more than they know the shortcomings of their flat screen TVs. Even the new MBPs have professional use issue because of their displays. The MBPs are of limited pro use as long as one knows their limitations where as the iPad is of almost no pro use other than "look at this".
One really funny thing is all devices now that can make an iPad seem like a laptop! Boxes that keyboards fit into and cases that stand up are laughable because as nice as an iPad is it really sucks as a computer compared to the cheapest Air or MBP.
I don't think that barmann was making a case against a new technology that didn't fit the old ways like when mice were first introduced. His point was that as much as iPad fanboys want it to be the coolist thing ever that will replace all those old-fashioned computers there are differences in machines between consumer ones and those used by professionals.
It's not expected that consumers are going to know the short comings of their iPads any more than they know the shortcomings of their flat screen TVs. Even the new MBPs have professional use issue because of their displays. The MBPs are of limited pro use as long as one knows their limitations where as the iPad is of almost no pro use other than "look at this".
One really funny thing is all devices now that can make an iPad seem like a laptop! Boxes that keyboards fit into and cases that stand up are laughable because as nice as an iPad is it really sucks as a computer compared to the cheapest Air or MBP.
more...

MattZani
Aug 3, 05:18 PM
Loved the film, and felt it was time for a change.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/215/3/b/Wallpaper_Inception__by_MattZani.png
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/215/3/b/Wallpaper_Inception__by_MattZani.png
maclaptop
Apr 13, 05:10 PM
I don't mind. More time to enjoy the 4 :)
As long as Apple is using the time wisely to design a better iPhone, then I don't mind either.
In the mean time, I can't wait to dump my iPhone 4.
It's the most disappointing Apple product I've ever owned. If it could make and receive calls as well as the other AT&T phones I currently use, then I wouldn't be in such a rush to dump it.
And NO IT'a NOT AT&T!
Nor am I sticking up for them, or advocating, as I use both AT&T and Verizon. But the fact is, if it was them, my HTC Inspire and others would suffer the same poor call quality as the iPhone.
And NO IT's NOT JUST THE ANTENNA.. It's a combination of things which have prevented it from being a decent phone.
That said, the rest of it (other than the tiny 3.5" display) I really like!
So come on Apple, let's see you get your act together and do what I KNOW you can do, build a really outstanding smartphone.
I haven't lost faith, I'm ready, cash in hand.
As long as Apple is using the time wisely to design a better iPhone, then I don't mind either.
In the mean time, I can't wait to dump my iPhone 4.
It's the most disappointing Apple product I've ever owned. If it could make and receive calls as well as the other AT&T phones I currently use, then I wouldn't be in such a rush to dump it.
And NO IT'a NOT AT&T!
Nor am I sticking up for them, or advocating, as I use both AT&T and Verizon. But the fact is, if it was them, my HTC Inspire and others would suffer the same poor call quality as the iPhone.
And NO IT's NOT JUST THE ANTENNA.. It's a combination of things which have prevented it from being a decent phone.
That said, the rest of it (other than the tiny 3.5" display) I really like!
So come on Apple, let's see you get your act together and do what I KNOW you can do, build a really outstanding smartphone.
I haven't lost faith, I'm ready, cash in hand.
more...
Prom1
Sep 30, 09:15 PM
Yes ppl still use Notes.
> for the price its cheaper than MS Exchange. And isnt limited to 50K accounts (for email that is. Without additions/packs).
Sametime 7.5 just went GOLD+ for the past few weeks. Its interface looks pretty good and the ability to keep the history in a chat for INDIVIDUAL ppl that participated - for a limited time pre set by the user, or indefinately. But its STILL buggy, crashing on end on multiple machines (WinXP SP2) without a cause; that we can figure out.
BTW; I work at IBM here in Toronto for their client BNSF.
This should be interesting to see how Apple rolls with this announcement.
> for the price its cheaper than MS Exchange. And isnt limited to 50K accounts (for email that is. Without additions/packs).
Sametime 7.5 just went GOLD+ for the past few weeks. Its interface looks pretty good and the ability to keep the history in a chat for INDIVIDUAL ppl that participated - for a limited time pre set by the user, or indefinately. But its STILL buggy, crashing on end on multiple machines (WinXP SP2) without a cause; that we can figure out.
BTW; I work at IBM here in Toronto for their client BNSF.
This should be interesting to see how Apple rolls with this announcement.
Gelfin
Apr 5, 07:12 PM
Your blind comparison of an 11 year old "dressing like a prostitute" and a man in a business suit to prove some point didn't work.
The preconceptions that lead you to reject it are not the same as it "not working."
The preconceptions that lead you to reject it are not the same as it "not working."
more...
DIMEZ
Dec 15, 11:33 PM
I used SnowTunes Noir (http://cristomac24.deviantart.com/art/SnowTunes-iTunes-OS-X-theme-141310715) (it's part of the download, there's three versions in one installer, both Noir and HUD are dark, just different styles). It's been working well for a long time now.
jW
thanks, I will try that out!!!
jW
thanks, I will try that out!!!
Sodner
Apr 7, 08:40 AM
There's been reports of battery issues to. I haven't tested it myself, but it seems like I'm getting less battery life since 4.3.1, which is what many others have been saying. I don't know how widespread this isssue is, though.
I would say my battery life is worse as well, and I would not see why this would not be affecting everyone running 4.3.1. So I am looking forward to the update.
I would say my battery life is worse as well, and I would not see why this would not be affecting everyone running 4.3.1. So I am looking forward to the update.
more...
wdlove
Sep 5, 01:22 PM
I'm with you in spirit. I'm a native Buckeye. Left Ohio in 1974 to enter the Air Force and never returned. I wish you well with meeting fellow MacRumor's members. ;)
Abyssgh0st
Dec 26, 11:38 AM
I got..
$750 cash
$175 in gift cards
2 Polos
2 OU Hoodies
4 OU Shirts
3 OU Blankets
An OU Ornament
A 2lb Rice Krispie Treat..
Harry Potter Hogwarts Scarf
Harry Potter Replica Snitch
Some cool stuff from the Container Store
TV-B-Gone
And random stuff from 5 different stockings
$750 cash
$175 in gift cards
2 Polos
2 OU Hoodies
4 OU Shirts
3 OU Blankets
An OU Ornament
A 2lb Rice Krispie Treat..
Harry Potter Hogwarts Scarf
Harry Potter Replica Snitch
Some cool stuff from the Container Store
TV-B-Gone
And random stuff from 5 different stockings
illy123
Dec 8, 05:14 AM
Here's my current set-up. I'm looking for a good xmas Mail icon and maybe one for Safari and FF. I know what I'd like, but I'm not a Photoshop guy at all. Also, the Mail icon looks like it's sitting on the dock in an odd manner. Kind of bugging me, but I can't find a different, Christmas-y one.
I love your desktop! Any chance you could give me a link for the icons you have (dock and the hard-drive icon which is awesome)?
Thanks!
Edit:
The wallpaper is great too lol :D
I love your desktop! Any chance you could give me a link for the icons you have (dock and the hard-drive icon which is awesome)?
Thanks!
Edit:
The wallpaper is great too lol :D
Chundles
Sep 24, 07:52 PM
The why not is not the point. Its the fact that parents don't lose control the very second they're 18.
They do in the eyes of the law.
They do in the eyes of the law.
inkswamp
Mar 31, 02:57 PM
Wow! Impressive work from Adobe. :eek:
You know, I was around in the mid-80s when the mouse and GUI first hit the market, and I recall the bickering amongst my fellow computer geeks about whether one could do real work with these new "toy" computers (which didn't phase me as I was also interested in desktop publishing and could sense where it was going.) Back then, there were merits to both sides of that debate, but over time, it's become clear that the mouse+GUI was far more powerful and flexible than at first perceived by the geek crowd.
I'm starting to see a lot of parallels between the touch interface devices and those days in the 80s. Every time I see/hear some geek declare the iPad a toy and useless for real work, I just think back to those days when my geek friends sneered at the Macs with the silly mouse and pretty GUI and wonder if history is repeating itself.
And then I see things like what Adobe is doing and I know it for a fact. We're seeing another revolution in computing happen, but most people won't acknowledge it for many years, until it's beyond obvious.
You know, I was around in the mid-80s when the mouse and GUI first hit the market, and I recall the bickering amongst my fellow computer geeks about whether one could do real work with these new "toy" computers (which didn't phase me as I was also interested in desktop publishing and could sense where it was going.) Back then, there were merits to both sides of that debate, but over time, it's become clear that the mouse+GUI was far more powerful and flexible than at first perceived by the geek crowd.
I'm starting to see a lot of parallels between the touch interface devices and those days in the 80s. Every time I see/hear some geek declare the iPad a toy and useless for real work, I just think back to those days when my geek friends sneered at the Macs with the silly mouse and pretty GUI and wonder if history is repeating itself.
And then I see things like what Adobe is doing and I know it for a fact. We're seeing another revolution in computing happen, but most people won't acknowledge it for many years, until it's beyond obvious.
Deefuzz
Dec 10, 04:18 PM
check this out ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871944
Where the heck has that been hiding? I guess that's what I get for being gone for so long.
Thanks for the link.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=871944
Where the heck has that been hiding? I guess that's what I get for being gone for so long.
Thanks for the link.
mjmchase
Dec 25, 10:32 AM
http://images.apple.com/magictrackpad/images/hero_1_20100727.png
Wasn't expecting this, but it is sweet. Also received a Black&Decker Drill bit kit, a sweater vest, Dr. Marten Zack shoes, a Nike running hat, and the Panasonic TM700 I posted in a previous post.
Wasn't expecting this, but it is sweet. Also received a Black&Decker Drill bit kit, a sweater vest, Dr. Marten Zack shoes, a Nike running hat, and the Panasonic TM700 I posted in a previous post.
chrismacguy
Apr 4, 04:18 PM
666sheep is right.. RAM is the main cause of KP's. As he said take one out and try booting up. Keep taking one out at a time till you have just 1 left. Once the KP's stop you will know the stick you just took out is the culprit.
.. and dont forget to try each stick individually once your down to 1 stick if it keeps kernel panicking - unlikely but if your unlucky its likely to be the very last stick you get too thats faulty - ( probably stating the obvious, but I thought Id add it for completeness of your correct advice zen - :) )
.. and dont forget to try each stick individually once your down to 1 stick if it keeps kernel panicking - unlikely but if your unlucky its likely to be the very last stick you get too thats faulty - ( probably stating the obvious, but I thought Id add it for completeness of your correct advice zen - :) )
No comments:
Post a Comment